Five members of the San Francisco District 11 Democratic Club are candidates to become delegates to the California Democratic Party. Rosario Cervantes (Excelsior), Jose Torres (Mission Terrace), Gabriel Medina (Ingleside), Brigitte Davila (Mission Terrace) and Alex Walker (Mission Terrace) are seeking delegate positions. Delegates attend the state conventions and vote on ballot measure and candidate endorsements We have not had this kind of interest by club members in many years and it presents a great opportunity for neighbors to advocate for the Democratic Party to be responsive to the needs of everyday voters.
A little bit about our members running for delegate positions:
- Rosario Cervantes: Rosario is a longtime of the Excelsior district. She will be a fierce advocate for the average resident and will push the party towards policies that champion clean energy, consumer protection, affordable housing, health care and access to education. She is an active member of the Labor Council, the District 11 Democratic Club and the Latino Democratic Club. She currently serves as president of the board of Coleman Advocates for Youth & Children. You can vote for Rosario on Saturday, January 10, 2015 at the African Americam Art & Culture Complex at 762 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94102.
- Joe Torres: Neighbors might remember Jose "Joe" Torres as Uncle Sam, a role he reprises every 4th of July at the Mission Terrace 4th of July Parade and Picnic. But Joe has long been involved in politics starting with Bobby Kennedy in 1968 and on through the Obama campaigns. He is a member of several Democratic Clubs including the D11 Dems. Jose will advocate for equity for all and support of democratic values. You can vote for Joe on Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:30 am at the Pacelli Event Center at 145 Lake Merced Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015.
- Gabriel Medina: Born and raised in San Francisco, Gabriel is concerned about policies that have pushed families out, made homeownership unattainable, and closed our longtime community businesses. He wants the Democratic Party to be responsive to its base. Gabriel is active in local politics and serves as president of the S.F. Latino Democratic Club. You can vote for Gabriel on Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:30 am at the Pacelli Event Center at 145 Lake Merced Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015.
- Brigitte Davila: A resident of Mission Terrace and currently serving as president of the District 11 Democratic Club, Brigitte recently won a position as trustee of the City College Board in the last general election. She is a tireless advocate for accesible quality public education at all levels, with a particular emphasis on higher education. She is running to ensure that the Democratic Party further policies that support access to education, affordable housing, voting, civil rights and, generally to ensure socio-economic justice for all residents. She recently won a citywide race for a seat on the CCSF Board of Trustees. You can vote for Brigitte on Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:30 am at the Pacelli Event Center at 145 Lake Merced Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015.
- Alex Walker: Another resident of Mission Terrace is an incumbent delegate running to retain his seat and his office on the delegate AD 19 Executive Board. Alex is active in the LGBT, Progressive and Environmental Caucuses as well as on the Voter Services Committee and in the California Young Democrats. He serves as PAC Chair of the Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club and is active with SF Young Democrats, Irish American Democratic Club and others. You can vote for Alex on Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:30 am at the Pacelli Event Center at 145 Lake Merced Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015.
- Leah LaCroix: Leah is our newest member and will be the youngest delegate. She held a position on the Youth Commission and is an advocate for transportation that serves the residents of San Francisco. You can vote for Alex on Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:30 am at the Pacelli Event Center at 145 Lake Merced Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015.